Python 2.5 and sqlite

david.lyon at preisshare.net david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed Nov 12 17:52:55 EST 2008

Thorsten,

Quoting Thorsten Kampe <thorsten at thorstenkampe.de>:

> *  (Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:58:15 -0500)
>> >
>> > Why would he have to install SQLite?!
>>
>> Seems a stupid question. If he wants to use SQLite... it needs to be
>> on the system....
>
> No.

really...?

> Python cannot check whether SQLite is installed or not.

Of course it can....

> It checks
> whether it can find the SQLite header files. So the SQLite source (or
> the binary) is only needed for compiling Python. If you build SQLite
> support as a shared library, you need the libsqlite package (not the
> SQLite binary itself) at runtime. If you build it static, you don't need
> SQLite at all at runtime. See Martin's answer in the same thread.

Anyway.. I think you just want to argue endlessly with silly
statements.. you're being too pedantic..

Fact is different *nux distributions come with different parts
(static/dynamic-libraries, header files etc). There is no blanket
solution that will work on every platform every time.

I know many *nix distro's work with python out of the box.. but we are
not talking about that..

Anyway.. I have work to do

Take care

David