Finding the instance reference of an object

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Tue Nov 4 12:57:26 EST 2008

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:16:05 -0800, Craig Allen wrote:

> I'm open to pass-by-sharing, or pass-by-object, but neither is
> perticularly intuitive, not as obvious in meaning as pass-by-val or
> pass-by-reference (or call-by-xxx). I suppose I'd like pass-by-name as
> more a description, as "name" to me has a similar sense to pointer, at
> least in a language that preserves the name as a runtime entitity
> (making C/C++ languages which compile away names).

But call-by-name has a very different meaning from call-by-value, call-by-
reference, or call-by-object or call-by-sharing.  Call-by-name "injects"
the expression used to call into the called function and evaluates it
every time the argument is accessed within the function.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch