Finding the instance reference of an object

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Mon Nov 3 21:33:52 EST 2008

On Nov 3, 2008, at 5:27 PM, Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch wrote:

> Maybe this is a surprise for you, because we haven't discussed this in
> much detail in this group lately, but it applies to Python which does
> call-by-object or call-by-sharing.  ;-)

There's no such thing.  Those are just terms made up by the Python
community to in place of the more standard "call-by-value" terminology
to make Python seem more mysterious than it really is.  I guess you
can call it "purple bananas" if you want, but the behavior is exactly
the same as what every other language calls call-by-value.

But I really am trying not to continue this debate.  So that's my last
reply about it for tonight, I promise.  :)

Cheers,
- Joe
<http://www.strout.net/info/coding/valref/>