Finding the instance reference of an object

Tue Nov 4 17:42:59 EST 2008

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:06:45 -0700, Joe Strout wrote:

> This example is also call-by-value, but the value in this case is a type
> that has no analog in Python.

I'm disappointed to see that my prediction that Joe would, yet again,
utterly ignore all the arguments against his pet theory was correct. It's
gratifying to be proven right, of course, but I'd prefer to be wrong and
reduce the amount of confusion and obfuscation that Joe is causing.

Over the years, I've had the misfortune to deal with many people like
Joe. They get a fixed idea in their head, and regardless of the facts
they will stick to it, no matter what: "when the facts disprove your pet
theory, ignore the facts".

When we're talking about the value of a variable in Python, why on earth
would you drag entities that do not exist in Python into the discussion?
That is too low a level. It's analogous to my earlier tongue-in-cheek
suggestion that all languages are in fact call-by-bit-flipping:
technically true at some level of explanation, but not at the level of
the Python virtual machine.

--
Steven