Embedding: Is it possible to limit number of virtual instructions executed?

Paul Rubin http
Sat Nov 1 04:46:08 EDT 2008

juliangrendell at gmail.com writes:
> The goal is to be able to set some limit on the amount of time in the
> interpreter in each loop, and not rely on the python side code. ...
> Does anyone have any suggestions for how this could be achieved?

Not really.  Limiting the number of virtual instructions (byte codes)
is of no help, since each one can consume unlimited runtime.  I think
for example that bigint exponentiation is one bytecode, and 9**999999
probably takes several seconds to compute.