Can't find Python Library packages in Ubuntu (Debian)

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 07:37:46 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Jerzy Jalocha N <jjalocha at gmail.com> wrote:

> And my third question could be: Do all Python developers that work with Debian
> (or derivations) have to compile Python?

I think most people using python as a development tool use the version
available in their distribution. Personally, I mostly use the stock
python of Ubuntu. Although building python itself is not difficult on
the typical linux box, keep in mind that you will almost certainly
need to re-build all the packages you need. Tt is not easy if at all
possible to use extensions from one python interpreter to the other,
in particular for packages which contain C code (things like pygtk,
pyqt come to mind). If you want to use python 2.6, you don't have a
choice, though, since it is not available on Ubuntu yet as you said.

David