Module Structure/Import Design Problem

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 04:10:52 EST 2008

Steve Holden wrote:
> Stef Mientki wrote:
>
>> Gabriel Genellina wrote:
>>
> [...]
>
>> Sorry I don't understand all that pep-talk (I'm not a programmer ;-)
>>

> And I'm not a plumber. The difference between us is that I don't write
> blogs telling people how to lay out and connect their pipework.
>
> regards
>  Steve
>
> PS: Q: What's the difference between God and a doctor?
>     A: God doesn't think she's a doctor

Probably this a a local disease after all,
as only me and a couple of other non-programmers in my surrounding seems
to have the same view on imports as me.

Let me try to explain my point of view.
Undoubtable the import statement gives enormous functionality and
flexibility to programmers.
But for non-programmers the import statement is of no value whatsoever,
and it's just a necessary evil.
Above that, the import statement is (for non programmers) one of the
most difficult to understand parts of Python.
On the other hand, why do need Lutz and Ascher (which might not be the
best book) over 50 pages to explain imports and packages ?
Delphi, known as an "old language", has already automated imports for
more than 15 years.

I would love to see a cookbook recipe (of at most 2 pages) , written by
experts,
of how to use imports in the right way. Or even better an automated
import mechanism.

But as it looks that only a few people have the same problem as me,
it has no value to pay any further attention to this issue.

cheers,
Stef