spam update

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid
Wed Nov 19 15:09:27 EST 2008

On 2008-11-19, Shawn Milochik <Shawn at milochik.com> wrote:

> At the time there was a lot of chatter on the list about
> people "plonking" posts from Google Groups. That's "a"
> solution, if that's where the spam comes from, but it
> penalizes the legitimate users who don't subscribe to the
> mailing list.

Not really.  It doesn't penalize people like me who don't
subscribe to the list, but post from other (properly run)
Usenet servers. It does penalizes legitimate users who post
from Google Groups.  They've made the choice to use the same
posting conduit as spammers, and presumably they know the
consequences.

There are plenty of free Usenet servers out there, and if one
is not allowed NNTP access or can't figure out how to do
anything that's not presented via a web page, then one can
always post from gmane.org.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! If elected, Zippy
                                  at               pledges to each and every