Where to locate existing standard encodings in python

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Tue Nov 11 18:07:51 EST 2008

> You haven't explained why you think that you *need* a list of all
> encodings that exist at a point in time. What are you going to do with
> the list?

Just because I ran into this recently, the Dilbert.com site
returns a bogus Content-type header with

For Python to parse this, I had to use Python's list of known
encodings in order to determine whether I could even parse the
site (for passing it to a string's .encode() method).  (Aside:
stupid dilbert.com site developers...what sorta rubbish is
"utf-8lias"?!  It's not like it's something that would appear
accidentally.  And there were bogus characters in the document to
boot)

-tkc