Exhaustive Unit Testing

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Sat Nov 29 05:36:56 EST 2008

Fuzzyman schreef:
> By the way, to reduce the number of independent code paths you need to
> test you can use mocking. You only need to test the logic inside the
> methods you create (testing behaviour), and not every possible
> combination of paths.

I don't understand that. This is part of something I've never understood
about unit testing, and each time I try to apply unit testing I bump up
against, and don't know how to resolve. I find it also difficult to
explain exactly what I mean.

Suppose I need to write method spam() that turns out to be somewhat
complex, like the class method Emanuele was talking about. When I try to
write test_spam() before the method, I have no way to know that I'm
going to need so many code paths, and that I'm going to split the code
out into a number of other functions spam_ham(), spam_eggs(), etc.

So whatever happens, I still have to test spam(), however many codepaths
it contains? Even if it only contains a few lines with fors and ifs and
calls to the other functions, it still needs to be tested? Or not? From
a number of postings in this thread a get the impression (though that
might be an incorrect interpretation) that many people are content to
only test the various helper functions, and not the spam() itself. You
say you don't have to test every possible combination of paths, but how
thorough is your test suite if you have untested code paths?

A related matter (at least in my mind) is this: after I've written
test_spam() but before spam() is correctly working, I find out that I
need to write spam_ham() and spam_eggs(), so I need test_spam_ham() and
test_spam_eggs(). That means that I can never have a green light while
coding test_spam_ham() and test_stam_eggs(), since test_spam() will
fail. That feels wrong. And this is a simple case; I've seen cases where
I've created various new classes in order to write one new function.
Maybe I shouldn't care so much about the failing unit test? Or perhaps I
should turn test_spam() of while testing test_spam_ham() and
test_spam_eggs().

I've read "test-driven development" by David Astels, but somehow it
seems that the issues I encounter in practice don't come up in his examples.

--
The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge
faster than society gathers wisdom.

Roel Schroeven