function parameter scope python 2.5.2

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Nov 21 17:17:03 EST 2008

J Kenneth King wrote:

> I was working on a program of some complexity recently and quickly
> caught the issue in my tests. I knew what was going on and fixed it
> expediently, but the behaviour confused me and I couldn't find any
> technical documentation on it so I figured I just didn't know what it
> was referred to in Python. Hence the post. :)

Language Reference / Expressions / Primaries / Calls +
Language Reference / Compound statements / Function definitions

Hmm.  Read by themselves, these are not as clear as they could be that
what parameters get bound to are the argument objects.  One really needs
to have read the section on assignment statements first.