using "private" parameters as static storage?

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Thu Nov 13 21:16:25 EST 2008

On Nov 13, 2008, at 10:19 AM, Chris Mellon wrote:

> Static storage is a way of preserving state. Objects are a way of
> encapsulating state and behavior. Use an object.

Argh.  I've been back in the Python community for about a month, and
I've been continually amazed at how every single "how do I do X" or
"what do you think of this method of doing X" question is answered by
people on high horses claiming "you shouldn't do X".

I know very well about state and objects.  I'll be happy to whip out
my software engineering credentials and measure them against yours if
that's how you like to play.  I understand very well when data should
be stored as instance data, and when it should be instead tucked away
as static data within a method.  If you don't understand that, or are
happy without having the choice, and have no answer to the question I
was asking, then that's fine.  I don't always have anything useful to
contribute when somebody asks a question either.  But in that case, I
resist the urge to reply anyway.

Maybe we should define some standard tags people could add to the top
of their email: "Helpful-Answer" for helpful answers, and "Unhelpful-
Preaching" for the other kind.  Then those of us not interested in one
sort or the other could set up an email filter.

Best,
- Joe

P.S. I'm sorry, Chris, I don't mean to rip your head off in
particular.  You were just the straw that broke the camels back; there
have been plenty of others adding to the frustration.  I'll try to
just ignore such responses in the future... though it is a little
disturbing to think how many newbies are probably driven away by this
sort of thing.