Python 3 __cmp__ semantic change?

Johannes Bauer dfnsonfsduifb at gmx.de
Thu Nov 20 18:44:09 EST 2008

Steve Holden schrieb:

> If it's not present then it would be worth reporting it as a 3.0 bug -
> there's still time to get it in, as the release isn't due until early
> December.

Seems it was removed on purpose - I'm sure there was a good reason for
that, but may I ask why? Instead of the sleek __cmp__ function I had
earlier, I now have code like:

def __lt__(self, other):
	return self.__cmp__(other) < 0

def __le__(self, other):
	return self.__cmp__(other) < 0

def __gt__(self, other):
	return self.__cmp__(other) > 0

def __ge__(self, other):
	return self.__cmp__(other) >= 0

Does anyone know the reason why __cmp__ was discarded?

Kind regards,
Johannes

--
"Meine Gegenklage gegen dich lautet dann auf bewusste Verlogenheit,
verlästerung von Gott, Bibel und mir und bewusster Blasphemie."