Multiprocessing vs. [Pyro, RPyC]

J Kenneth King james at agentultra.com
Sat Nov 15 23:25:13 EST 2008

Jeffrey Barish <jeff_barish at earthlink.net> writes:

> skip at pobox.com wrote:
>

>>     Jeffrey> With the release of multiprocessing in Python 2.6, is there
>>     any Jeffrey> reason to use Pyro or RPyC?
>>
>> As far as I know the multiprocessing module only works on one machine
>> (multi-cpu or multi-core), not across machines.
>
> So I thought at first, but then I saw this statement in the documentation:
>
> It is possible to run a manager server on one machine and have clients use
> it from other machines (assuming that the firewalls involved allow it).

Depends. I don't know much about the multiprocessing module in 2.6,
but I have built a distributed application on Pyro.

Pyro has many advantages -- a query-able name server, GUI tools for
monitoring your setup, and remote agents. It is also rather simple in
comparison to other similar tools (*cough*twisted.pb*cough*). However,
it is essentially an RPC style system, so some people might not be too
comfortable with it. YMMV.