Python surpasses Perl in popularity?

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se
Fri Nov 28 05:05:05 EST 2008

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:07:22 -0500, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> In article <slrngip03p.c1v.grahn+nntp at frailea.sa.invalid>,
>  Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se> wrote:
>
>> Hard to take a popularity index seriously when Logo is at #19 and
>> Bourne shell at #32 ... and then they suggest that their readers can
>> use it "to make a strategic decision about what programming language
>> should be adopted when starting to build a new software system".
>
> When you've seen some of the shell scripts I've seen, it's not hard to
> imagine that logo might be a better choice of programming language.

I have seen them, too.  But I have also written and maintained
medium-sized shell scripts which are very successful.

(I could get away with using Bash in these cases. It has functions,
local variables and so on. Writing portable Bourne shell is not as
much fun.)

Not to mention how useful interactive shell scripting is. I use it
more and more: pipelines which combine xargs, while, for, sort and
perl oneliners. This is surely a kind of programming, too.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.se>          R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!