Python / Debian package dependencies

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Nov 20 11:56:31 EST 2008

On 20 Nov, 02:14, "Steven Samuel Cole" <steven.samuel.c... at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am trying to build a debian package for my python modules using
> stdeb and dpkg-buildpackage. The package building itself works, I also
> managed to have an entry point created and I can use my python modules
> on the Ubuntu virtual machine I use to test the package.
>
> The problem is that my modules require the psycopg2 python package and
> the entry point seems to require setuptools.

Are you saying that psycopg2 needs setuptools for the setup.py script
to work? This isn't generally the case (or wasn't), but maybe the
"entry point" is a setuptools thing which would then demand that
software's presence.

> I can't figure out how to declare a dependency that actually results
> in the dependency Debian packages being installed.
> I tried adding these lines to setup.py:
>
> requires = ['psycopg2', 'setuptools'],
> requires = ['psycopg2 (>=0.1)', 'setuptools (>=0.1)'],
> install_requires = ['psycopg2', 'setuptools'],
> install_requires = ['psycopg2>=0.1', 'setuptools>=0.1'],

How does stdeb know which package provides psycopg2? I'm not really
familiar with stdeb - I write my own packaging files - but might it be
the case that you need to specify python-psycopg2 instead?

Paul