Unyeilding a permutation generator

Aaron Brady castironpi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 17:09:01 EST 2008

On Nov 2, 3:34 pm, silly... at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello, can someone please help.
>
> I found the following code athttp://code.activestate.com/recipes/252178/
>
> def all_perms(str):
>     if len(str) <=1:
>         yield str
>     else:
>         for perm in all_perms(str[1:]):
>             for i in range(len(perm)+1):
>                 #nb str[0:1] works in both string and list contexts
>                 yield perm[:i] + str[0:1] + perm[i:]
>
> which allows me to do things like
>
> for x in  all_permx("ABCD"):
>   print x
>
> I believe it is making use of the plain changes / Johnson Trotter
> algorithm.
> Can someone please confirm?
>
> Anyway what I want to do is experiment with code similar to this (i.e.
> same algorithm and keep the recursion) in other languages,
> particularly vbscript and wondered what it would look like if it was
> rewritten to NOT use the yield statement - or at least if it was
> amended so that it can be easily translated to other languages that
> dont have python's yield statement. I think the statement "for perm in
> all_perms(str[1:]):"  will be hardest to replicate in a recursive
> vbscript program for example.
>
> Thanks for any constructive help given.
>
> Hal

I think multi-threading is the "truest" to the original.  You might
develop a framework to set events when particular generators are to
take a turn, place their "yields", per se, in a particular place, set
the return event, etc., and reuse it.  Of course, starting threads in
VBS might be another matter.