end of print = lower productivity ?

cptnwillard at gmail.com cptnwillard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 10:44:01 EST 2008

I want my productivity back.

In Python 2.x, I could easily write things like -- print "f" / print
"add" / print "done" -- to a lot of different places in my code, which
allowed me to find bugs that I could not track otherwise. When I found
out that "f" was not at fault, I could write -- print "g" -- to some
other place... etc, so that a significant part of the time spent
debugging was actually used to write print statements.

Now the print statement disappeared, and I have to write print("f")
instead. These parentheses not only take time to write, they also make
me think twice about using print for debugging purposes. Pressing <
SHIFT > then < ( > then < " > makes the whole process quite a hassle.

I agree with most of the arguments that have been made against using
the print statement to build code, but I did care about the efficient
debugging tool it was.