encoding

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Tue Nov 25 12:05:26 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:53 AM, luca72 <lucaberto at libero.it> wrote:

> hello i'm writing an irc client, i use for encoding the utf-8 but i
> never see all the typed sign in the correct way, anyone know the
> standard encodind for the irc channels?
>
> Regards
>
> Luca
> --

This is something where Google is very helpful. I haven't dealt with this
before, but a look at the definition of the protocol says there isn't any
standard encoding. As a matter of fact, the RFC specifically says there is
no standard character set[1]. The only thing it specifies is that IRC uses
an 8-bit protocol. Since UTF-8 that doesn't work, I'd try using ISO-8859 and
CP1252 and see if those work better.

[1] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1459.html (section 2.2)