regular expressions ... slow

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Tue Nov 18 12:47:49 EST 2008

Kay Schluehr wrote:
> All of this is prototyped in Python and it is still work in progress.
> As long as development has not reached a stable state I refuse to
> rebuild the system in an optimized C version.

And rightfully so:

1) the approach is algorithmically better, so it may even beat the current
C implementation by design.

2) switching languages before finishing and benchmarking the prototype is a
premature optimisation. It wouldn't be the first prototype going into
production.

3) even before considering a reimplementation, you should throw it into
Cython to translate it into C code, and then benchmark that.

Stefan