Emacs vs. Eclipse vs. Vim

Clay Hobbs clay at lakeserv.net
Sun Nov 30 20:27:16 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 12:44 -0800, Josh wrote:
> If you were a beginning programmer and willing to make an investment in
> steep learning curve for best returns down the road, which would you pick?
>
> I know this topic has been smashed around a bit already, but 'learning
> curve' always seems to be an arguement. If you feel that one is easier
> or harder than the others to learn feel free to tell, but let's not make
> that the deciding factor. Which one will be most empowering down the
> road as a development tool?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> JR

The first real text editor I used was Vim, which I actually started
using about a year ago.  I've looked at Emacs and it just looks
confusing.  It has key commands with key modifiers to do simple tasks
(such as moving the cursor to the left).  I used Eclipse for a while,
but for programming in Python it really has no advantage over Vim, so
back I went.  Vim doesn't really have a steep learning curve, of course
I used vimtutor to help me learn it.  Anyway, play around with all
three, and see which you like best.

--Ratfink