end of print = lower productivity ?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Nov 25 15:08:17 EST 2008

cptnwillard at gmail.com schrieb:
> On Nov 25, 5:05 pm, peter <peter.saba... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> BUT you now can do

>> Voila, 4 keystrokes saved :-)
>
> All right. Let's talk about that.
>
> When I write "print", it is both effortless and instantaneous : my
> hands do not move, a wave goes through my fingers, it all happens in a
> tenth of a second.
>
> Contrast this with what one has to go through to catch the SHIFT key,
> and then the "(" : move the left hand, press SHIFT, move the right
> hand, aim "(", press, miss, press again. Same thing at the end of the
> function call.
>
> I know it sounds ridiculous, but it does *impair* my debugging
> productivity. Taylor would agree.

If the relative difference between pressing space & ( impairs your
absolute debugging productivity, it pretty much follows that the latter
must be very low for such a minimal overhead to make such a difference.

Try learning touchtype. Might increase your debugging, programming &
writing productivity manyfold.

Diez