end of print = lower productivity ?

Lie Lie.1296 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 16:24:29 EST 2008

On Nov 26, 3:08 am, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de... at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> cptnwill... at gmail.com schrieb:
>

> > On Nov 25, 5:05 pm, peter <peter.saba... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> BUT you now can do

> >> Voila, 4 keystrokes saved :-)
>
> > All right. Let's talk about that.
>
> > When I write "print", it is both effortless and instantaneous : my
> > hands do not move, a wave goes through my fingers, it all happens in a
> > tenth of a second.
>
> > Contrast this with what one has to go through to catch the SHIFT key,
> > and then the "(" : move the left hand, press SHIFT, move the right
> > hand, aim "(", press, miss, press again. Same thing at the end of the
> > function call.
>
> > I know it sounds ridiculous, but it does *impair* my debugging
> > productivity. Taylor would agree.
>
> If the relative difference between pressing space & ( impairs your
> absolute debugging productivity, it pretty much follows that the latter
> must be very low for such a minimal overhead to make such a difference.
>
> Try learning touchtype. Might increase your debugging, programming &
> writing productivity manyfold.

It doesn't work. I'm already a touch typist. But my touch typing
rhythm is disturbed when there is a pair characters, as my internal
pair-completion would do something like this: ()<left>""<left>string.
I am a perfectionists, I hate having unclosed pair characters (though
I hate editors that auto-complete pairs even more, as it always
mistook my attempt to place open tags that already have closing tags
as need to be auto-closed). I am also a control-freak, as you might
have guessed. And I don't like patchwork, e.g. correcting the editor's
mistaken attempt, I'd rather do the whole thing manually than having
it done automatically but sometimes need manual intervention, if
something is automatized, do it completely, else don't.