Version upgrade blocked mentally

Sat Nov 29 16:40:00 EST 2008

Adam E wrote:
> I have read in my copy of Programming Python that all strings will be
> Unicode and there will be a byte type.
Actually that change is scheduled for 3.0.  As a tool for simplifying
conversions and compatible code, the name "bytes" is provided in 2.6
as a synonym of "str".  This allows you to distinguish those data in
your code that are really text from those that are really encoded
binary.

> This is mentally keeping me from upgrading to 2.6 .
> I'm curious, but are there still some who prefer Python 2.5?
Right now, some third part packages are not yet running on 2.6.
The next few months should change that situation.  So, if you are
using numpy or scipy, for example, you'd do better to go with 2.5
for now, and only move over when the full set of packages you use
are working on 2.6.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org