Debugging in Python

Sat Nov 29 12:58:21 EST 2008

Vicent Giner wrote:
> As far as I've understood, [the free version of] ActivePython is just
> a [good, ready-to-work] Python distribution. Also, it contains and
> editor, PythonWin Editor.
> Has that editor the ability of performing good debugging tasks? I
> mean, is it enough for doing debugging?
rudimentary.

> I pose this question because I've seen there is Komodo Editor and its
> non-free version Komodo IDE. For me, Komodo Editor has a very good
> interface. And the only feature I would like to get from the non-free
> version of Komodo is the ability of debugging. But I won't by it if I
> can have nearly the same with PythonWin Editor.

The debugging ability of the Komodo IDE is _significantly_ better than
the freely available debuggers.  If you like the Komodo Editor, you'll
love the debugger.

For myself, I tend to be an old fogey, so I'd rather use Vim with a
better Python mode (the current one does not work well in a "leave tabs
alone" mode).  Even for me, the Komodo debugger is the bee's knees.

I have never worked at ActiveState; I am only a (mostly) satisfied
customer.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org