creating a block file for file-like object

Iain iain.murchland at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 01:32:50 EST 2008

Hi,

I have a function that only accepts filenames, rather than file-like
objects (because its a wrapper around a C++ function, I think).

I want to feed some potentially large "files" into this function, but
they are coming in as streams (eg from a url) and so are only
represented in my code as file-like objects.

Can someone give me some pointers as to how I might create some sort
of blocking device file or named pipe or something that will give this
stream a filename without having to actually write the data to disk
and then read it back in before deleting it?

I've sort of tried the FIFO thing, but I think I'm getting caught by
its blocking behaviour on open so as soon as I try to open the named
pipe (whether for reading or writing) my script just hangs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Iain