Why does numpy.array(a[0],b[0]) have this meaning?

Rick Giuly rgiuly.group at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 02:26:24 EST 2008

Hello All,

Case 1
This generates an error, which makes sense because the argument should
be a list of numbers:
numpy.array(10,10)

Case 2
This does not generate an error and the result is an array with a
single element:
a = numpy.array([10])
b = numpy.array([10])
numpy.array(a[0],b[0])

The only different I see here between the numpy.array call in the
cases is that
a[0] is a numpy int32
10 is an int

Why would this minor difference in integer types cause a totally
different result for the two cases - or is something else causing the
difference in results?

-rick

P.S.
I am aware that numpy.array([10,10]) will work, but I'm trying to
understand what is going on syntactically/semantically in the two
cases above.