end of print = lower productivity ?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sat Nov 29 18:51:13 EST 2008

>> It's not so much "ridiculous" as a failure of your editor to
>> assist you.  In Vim (my editor-of-choice), I'd do something
>> like
>
> seriously, I don't think anyone in Windows uses vim

Are you just guessing, or do you have any sort of facts to
back this up?  It's my editor of choice when I'm stuck in
Windows, and as a long-time member of the vim mailing list,
there's a pretty even split between platforms.  Vim (and
similarly Emacs) has the additional benefits that I have the
same environment no matter what platform I'm on, and it's
usable over a ssh connection.

> Since when is python becoming exclusive community for
> Linux/Unix-like/Cygwin users that Windows users who have
> nothing but Notepad is put aside.

Never has been, nor will be.  Python only requires a text
editor.  If typing a few extra parens for "print"ing is the
worst of your efficiency concerns in Notepad, you need to go
out and see what productivity-enhancing features other
text-editors offer.  On Win32, you *can* write Python code
using Notepad, Wordpad, edit.exe or edlin.exe all from a
virgin install.  However, you can use *any* text-editor you
want, whether vim, emacs, Eclipse, WingIDE, Komodo, or any
of a multitude of others.  If you develop on/for multiple
platforms, it helps to choose a cross-platform editor.  I
wouldn't consider *any* of the stock Win32 editors even
remotely capable of long-term functionality (regardless of
py2.6 vs py3k), so downloading another editor is almost a
given -- whether that's vim, emacs, Eclipse, or whatever.

> I, for instance, hates when my text editors tries to be
> smarter than me.
[snip]
>> Net gain:  5 characters in old-Python and 6 characters in
>> new-Python ;-)
>
> Is that supposed to be a joke?

Keystroke golf is no more a joke than your obstinate
insistence against "smart editors" (i.e. "editors you can
configure to behave the way you want and make your life
easier").

Unless mandated by your job, use what makes you most
productive -- whether that's the programming language, the
version of the programming language, the operating system,
office furniture, music selection, or your text-editor/IDE.

So when the language gives you newfound powers (ability to
redefine "print") at the cost of something a good editor
will readily expropriate, if you have problems, it's a
failure of your editor, not the language.

-tkc
[the Python 2.x programming, Linux running, comfy-chair-sitting,
neoclassical-guitar-listening vim user]