Exhaustive Unit Testing

Emanuele D'Arrigo manu3d at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 11:32:12 EST 2008

On Nov 27, 5:00 am, Steven D'Aprano
<ste... at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> Refactor until your code is simple enough to unit-test effectively, then
> unit-test effectively.

Ok, I've taken this wise suggestion on board and of course I found
immediately ways to improve the method. -However- this generates
another issue. I can fragment the code of the original method into one
public method and a few private support methods. But this doesn't
reduce the complexity of the testing because the number and complexity
of the possible path stays more or less the same. The solution to this
would be to test the individual methods separately, but is the only
way to test private methods in python to make them (temporarily) non
private? I guess ultimately this would only require the removal of the
appropriate double-underscores followed by method testing and then
adding the double-underscores back in place. There is no "cleaner"
way, is there?

Manu