Windows DOS box redirection

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Sat Nov 1 01:53:52 EDT 2008

On approximately 10/31/2008 9:22 PM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Dennis Lee Bieber:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:14:36 -0700, Glenn Linderman <glenn at nevcal.com>
>

>> A little bit ago, I wrote:
>>

>>> Creating the registry setting mentioned in this kb article didn't
>>> (immediately) solve the problem.  Next time I reboot, I'll try to
>>> remember to test this again.
>>>
>> It occurred to me to create a new CMD Prompt (yes, it is not a "DOS box"
>> in these versions of Windows) after creating the InheritConsoleHandles
>> registry value, and it works then.
>>
>> XP, latest patches.
>>
>> The old CMD Prompt still fails.
>>

> 	A tad confusing -- do you mean the previous console window is
> misbehaving, but creating a new console window is working? That behavior
> I can believe, as the console probably read the relevant registry
> entries on start-up, hence did not see any changes (same thing occurs if
> you edit environment variables using My Computer/Properties).

Correct.  Creating a new CMD window after making the registry
modification worked, while the CMD window created before the registry
modification continued to fail.

> 	But be careful otherwise... WinXP still has command.com
>
> Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
> (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.
>
> C:\DOCUME~1\DENNIS~1>
>
> besides the more modern cmd.exe
>
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Dennis Lee Bieber>
>
> 	So "old CMD Prompt" could be mistaken to refer to the ancient
> command.com <G>

Indeed it does, and could, but that isn't what I meant.  I didn't test
at all with command.com.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/