locating the chorus in a MIDI song?

Joe Strout joe at strout.net
Mon Nov 3 23:20:46 EST 2008

We've got a need to generate short "samples" of songs that are in MIDI
format, to provide a preview function in a web app.  We'd like to do
something more clever than just taking the middle 20 seconds (or
whatever) of the song -- ideally, we'd like to find the chorus, since
that's likely to be the most easily recognized part of the song.

I believe this could be done fairly reliably by looking for patterns
in the MIDI file, though I'm sure there are plenty of complications to
this simple idea.

So:

1. I see at <http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonInMusic> there are
quite a few MIDI libraries for Python.  Are any of them particularly
well suited to this task?

2. Anybody have an interest in music theory, as well as mad Python
skills?  Want a paying contract job?  If so, please contact me off-
list.  I'd enjoy pursuing this myself, but if you think you can do a
better job at a reasonable rate, I'm happy to let you do so.

Thanks,
- Joe