Official definition of call-by-value (Re: Finding the instance reference...)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Nov 12 08:01:32 EST 2008

greg wrote:
> Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>
>> It's not only misleading, it's also a seriously flawed reading of the
>> original text - the Algol 60 report explicitly talks about assignment
>> of *values*.
>
> Do you agree that an expression in Python has a value?

Most expressions have values. The ones whose evaluations don't raise
exceptions.

> Do you agree that it makes sense to talk about assigning
> that value to something?

No. Why do you think that we are (mostly) careful to talk about binding
names and values instead?

> If so, what is there to stop us from applying the Algol
> definition to Python?

Apparently nothing. But then various participants in this thread have
demonstrated an apparently infinite capacity to split hairs with the
presumed intention of proving themselves right and others wrong. By now
you are arguing at the level of whether turquoise can be called blue.
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Now, can we get on to something substantive like how many angels can
dance on the head of a pin?

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119