Python 3 __cmp__ semantic change?

Arnaud Delobelle arnodel at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 23 06:14:23 EST 2008

Arnaud Delobelle <arnodel at googlemail.com> writes:

>> (BTW, I think your earlier decorator had a bug, in that it failed to
>> define __ne__ but then called "self != other".)
>
> That would be true for Python 2.x but I'm explicitly writing code for
> Python 3 here, which, IIRC, infers != correctly when you define ==.  I
> can't refer you to the docs because my internet access to some US sites
> seems to be partly broken ATM, but here's a simple example:
>
> Python 3.0rc1+ (py3k:66521, Sep 21 2008, 07:58:29)
> [GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)] on darwin
> ...     def __init__(self):
> ...         self

> ...     def __init__(self, x):
> ...         self.x = x
> ...     def __eq__(self, other):
> ...         return self.x == other.x
> (True, False, False)
> (False, True, True)

Getting increasingly frustrated by my inability to reach python.org,
I've compiled the html docs for python 3 in order to find the bit that
explains the behaviour above. But the docs say exactly the opposite:

    There are no implied relationships among the comparison
    operators. The truth of x==y does not imply that x!=y is
    false. Accordingly, when defining __eq__(), one should also define
    __ne__() so that the operators will behave as expected. See the
    paragraph on __hash__() for some important notes on creating
    hashable objects which support custom comparison operations and are
    usable as dictionary keys.

So how did I get it into my head that defining __eq__ would create the
correct behaviour for __ne__ automatically?  And more puzzlingly, how
come it is what actually happens?  Which should I believe: the
documentation or the implementation?

--
Arnaud