Python 3 __cmp__ semantic change?

Arnaud Delobelle arnodel at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 22 03:27:59 EST 2008

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> writes:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:26:21 +0000, Arnaud Delobelle wrote:
>
> [...]
>> As classes can be decorated in Python 3, you can write a decorator to
>> make a class totally ordered.  Here is a very simplified proof of
>> concept such decorator:
>>
>> def totally_ordered(cls):
>>     if not hasattr(cls, '__gt__'):
>>         def gt(self, other):
>>             return self != other and not self < other
>>         cls.__gt__ = gt
>>     # Do the same with __le__, __ge__
>>     return cls
>>

>> @totally_ordered
>> class Fraction:
>>     def __init__(self, num, den=1):
>>         assert den > 0, "denomintator must be > 0" self.num = num
>>         self.den = den
>>     def __eq__(self, other):
>>         return self.num*other.den == self.den*other.num
>>     def __lt__(self, other):
>>         return self.num*other.den < self.den*other.num

>> True
>> False
>>
>> Granted it's not as efficient as a __cmp__ function.
>
> What makes you say that? What do you mean by "efficient"? Are you talking
> about memory footprint, runtime speed, disk-space, programmer efficiency,
> algorithmic complexity, or something else?

What I'm talking about is very simple - and explained below, with the
help of your __cmp__ method.

> As I see it, a __cmp__ method would be written something like this:
>
>     def __cmp__(self, other):
>         return cmp(self.num*other.den, self.den*other.num)

I'm talking about runtime speed (*not* asymptotic complexity).  My code
makes Fraction.__gt__ about twice as slow as Fraction.__lt__ or
Fraction.__eq__ even though with __cmp__ they would all be equally fast.

--
Arnaud