special editor support for indentation needed.

John Yeung gallium.arsenide at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 01:36:05 EST 2008

On Nov 15, 8:50 pm, "Eric S. Johansson" <e... at harvee.org> wrote:
> well, therein lies the rub.  I don't know lisp,
> I don't know Emacs internals let alone python mode.

Unfortunately, neither do I.  Actually, I haven't touched Emacs since
my college days, and barely remember any of it.  I figured from your
preference for Emacs that you already did some customization for
yourself.

Is vr-mode a "major" mode?  If so, I suppose it can't be active at the
same time as python-mode, which is also a major mode.  I grabbed a
copy of the code for python-mode (revision 4.75) and while I frankly
don't understand it, it looks like it has provisions for things like
finding the beginning of a class or def, which might be usable in
building the types of commands you want.

Perhaps you should try asking for help from the Emacs community.  To
someone versed in Emacs Lisp, what you want might be fairly easy.

Another possibility, that I mention mainly because I find it
interesting, and not so much because I expect it to be the best path
for you, is Pymacs.  It purports to let you customize Emacs using
Python instead of Emacs Lisp.

Good luck!  I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

John