adodbapi and output parameters in stored procedures

leesquare at yahoo.com leesquare at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 09:04:48 EST 2008

Hello,

I need some help getting output values from my stored procedures when
using adodbapi.  There's an example
testVariableReturningStoredProcedure in adodbapitest.py, and that
works for my system.  But my stored procedure also inserts and
accesses a table in the database.  Here's what I have it boiled down
to:

So, when I have
            CREATE PROCEDURE sp_DeleteMeOnlyForTesting
                @theInput varchar(50),
                @theOtherInput varchar(50),
                @theOutput varchar(100) OUTPUT
            AS
                SET @theOutput=@theInput+ at theOtherInput

Then, I can run in python:
>>> cursor = db.conn.cursor()
>>> cursor.callproc('sp_DeleteMeOnlyForTesting', ('hello', 'bye', ''))
[u'hello', u'bye', u'hellobye']

If I redefined the procedure as
            CREATE PROCEDURE sp_DeleteMeOnlyForTesting
                @theInput varchar(50),
                @theOtherInput varchar(50),
                @theOutput varchar(100) OUTPUT
            AS
                SELECT * From dbo.testtable
                SET @theOutput=@theInput+ at theOtherInput

Then, the python comes out as :
>>> cursor = db.conn.cursor()
>>> cursor.callproc('sp_DeleteMeOnlyForTesting', ('hello', 'bye', ''))
[u'hello', u'bye', u'']

My search on the web found a couple of posts with similar problems,
but no solutions.  I am using SQLOLEDB.1 as Provider, connecting to
SQL Server 2005.

Any help appreciated.  I just need one method of passing an output
parameter back to python.

Thanks,
Li