help compiling Python on vs 2008!

inhahe inhahe at gmail.com
Sun May 18 01:00:33 EDT 2008

"inhahe" <inhahe at gmail.com> wrote in message news:...
> VS2005 seems to be officially supported.  Here's part of the readme file
> in the PCBuild8 directory in the Python 2.5 source.
>
> "
> Building Python using VC++ 8.0
> -------------------------------------
> This directory is used to build Python for Win32 platforms, e.g. Windows
> 95, 98 and NT.  It requires Microsoft Visual C++ 8.0
> (a.k.a. Visual Studio 2005).  There are two Platforms defined, Win32
> and x64.
> (For other Windows platforms and compilers, see ../PC/readme.txt.)
> "
>
> Although I take your point about sharing resources.  I'm not sure I should
> bother compiling 2.6, since I'll probably come across/already use modules
> that I need that don't support 2.6 since it's so new.  So it would be nice
> to know why following the instructions doesn't work.  Compilers never work
> for me, though.. even when I follow instructions and they work for
> everybody else.  It's like a schroedinbug - I just don't expect them to
> work.  As a matter of principle, though, it /should/ work.. so it's gotta
> be *somebody's* job to debug this! :P

Actually, I was under the impression that the socket module relied on one of
the external libraries to work, since it didn't work when I compiled it.
But reading the readme again I realized that the socketmodule is supposed to
compile out of the box.  So I compiled Python again on VS2005 instead of
2008 (the error I posted that didn't work on 2008 or 2005 was trying to
compile one of the external libraries), and the socket module seems to work.
The external libraries don't seem that important.  So it was partly my
fault.. but still, the external libraries didn't compile like they said they
would. =P