Python and Flaming Thunder

Lie Lie.1296 at gmail.com
Wed May 14 02:04:45 EDT 2008

On May 14, 11:25 am, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfr... at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2008 09:36:28 -0700 (PDT), Dave Parker
> <davepar... at flamingthunder.com> declaimed the following in
> comp.lang.python:
>
> > > ... there's something that feels very unnatural about writing English as code.
>
> > I think it is ironic that you think Flaming Thunder is unnatural
> > because it is more English-like, when being English-like was one of
> > Python's goals: "Python was designed to be a highly readable language.
> > It aims toward an uncluttered visual layout, using English keywords
> > frequently where other languages use punctuation."
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_(programming_language)#Syntax_and...
>
>         I'd consider the emphasis to be "keywords ... punctuation", whereas
> "English" is just a qualifier...
>
>         If you want to follow this to the limit, the ^ vs ** would
> disappear...
>
>         let x be y raised to z

I'm doubting that anyone would rely on a natural language programming
language written by someone who has misunderstood other's post 3-4
times, and have misquoted news story several times because of his
misunderstanding. If he can't even understand English text properly,
how could he write a natural language parser?