Some error messages in Python are ugly

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Sun May 11 04:46:07 EDT 2008

On Sun, 11 May 2008 01:10:19 -0700, wxPythoner wrote:

> This really looks ugly for an error message:
>
> [1]+  Stopped                 python

It's neither an error message nor does it come from Python.  It's a
message from your shell about job control.  Seems you have stopped the
running process, which happens to be Python, by pressing <ctrl>+<z> or
<ctrl>-<y> for example.

> Please explain to me the role of the '+' sign.

Refer to the manual of your shell.  I guess it says, that the stopped
process was/is the current job, i.e. the one commands like ``fg`` or
``bg`` operate on if you leave out the argument.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch