conventions/requirements for 'is' vs '==', 'not vs '!=', etc

inhahe inhahe at gmail.com
Thu May 22 12:40:40 EDT 2008

"inhahe" <inhahe at gmail.com> wrote in message news:...

>> >Ma: Symbolic identity is a mathematical relation
>>>Mb: Symbols are acausal
>>>m: Matter is causal
>>>C: Symbolic identity is not defined on matter.
>>

> I do think though that a computer languages claiming operations on
> 'identity', as vis a vis 'equivalence', is completely contrived, as in,
> it's just an arbitary distinction about the way in which we're going to
> compare bits.

Although I suppose it counts for something that if a is b, in Python, then
the data referenced (at the end of the chain) by those two names occupies
the same physical transistors in the RAM module, although that's still a
level removed in that the so-called identity would change with time as the
electrical condition in the transistors changes.

But as far as the transistors being physically the same goes, a is b
actually closely corresponds to vernacular identity by way of "reference vs.
referent" in the theory of linguistics.