Finding file details...

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Thu May 29 10:36:03 EDT 2008

On May 29, 5:26 am, Kalibr <space.captain.f... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 29, 7:55 pm, Tim Golden <m... at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
>

> > You don't say, but I assume you're on Windows since you mention
> > GetFileVersionInfo (which doesn't have anything to do with media
> > files, by the way) and WMA. There may be packages out there
> > to do all this already but if not you'll need to pull in a few disparate
> > modules and mix'n'match.
>
> > While ID3 readers (which determine the metadata for MP3) are reasonably
> > common few of them come ready-compiled for Windows. I've used Ned
> > Batchelder's id3reader [1] successfully for simple tasks so you might try
> > that. On the WMA side, you can automate Windows Media Player to get
> > metadata. (And it might work for .mp3; I've not tried).
>
> > <code>
> > import win32com.client
>
> > player = win32com.client.gencache.EnsureDispatch ("WMPlayer.OCX")
> > wmedia = player.mediaCollection.add (r"c:\temp\bells.mp3")
> > try:
> >   artist = wmedia.getItemInfo ("Artist")
> > finally:
> >   player.mediaCollection.remove (wmedia, False)
>
> > print "bells.mp3 has artist", artist
>
> > </code>
>
> > You're going to have to dig around for docs on this one. And it's not
> > pretty. Try starting from:
>
> >http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb249009(VS.85).aspx
>
> > TJG
>
> > [1]http://nedbatchelder.com/code/modules/id3reader.html
>
> Hmm, thanks for the info. Yes, I am using Winders (Vista to be exact)
> and I just assumed that there must be a way to programmatically get
> the stuff you get from choosing properties in the right click menu.
> But I guess there isn't (hard to believe, because I can't see MS hard-
> coding each and every file format's metadata into it's OS). I might
> have to learn more about the command prompt ( I hear there is a module
> for fiddling with it) and work from there.
>
> Cheers for the links though, I will be checking them out :)

You might also check out the ID3 library:

http://id3-py.sourceforge.net/

It doesn't look like it's been updated for a few years. I tested it on
XP and it seems to work though.

I also found this snippet, but it's pretty rudimentary:

http://snipplr.com/view/1624/python--get-id3-from-mp3-file/

Finally, check out the ID3 Handling section on this site:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/UsefulModules

-------
Mike

Blog: http://blog.pythonlibrary.org/