php vs python

Lie Lie.1296 at gmail.com
Sun May 25 13:49:54 EDT 2008

On May 23, 5:14 am, "inhahe" <inh... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't like php.  I tried it once and I had it sort a list, but the list
> was apparently too long for its sorting function because it just sorted the
> first so-many elements of it and left the rest in order, and didn't generate
> any error.  I like a language that's actually determined by what you tell it
> to do.   I hear it has a lot of security issues too.  I'm not sure that php
> *runs* faster than python, having seen benchmarks, but it certainly loads
> faster.  Maybe not so much of a difference once python25.dll is already in
> the cache though (speaking from a windows perspective).  because when i load
> a program it can take a while but it's pretty quick if i'd just loaded one
> recently.  but you don't necessarily have to load python for each page
> rendering anyway.
>
> I like the Python language a lot better than php.  but I just really like
> Python.
>
> php mixes html and code out-of-the-box (sort of.. i guess it's more like a
> reversal of which one is explicit)... if you use Python you should look into
> a 'templating engine' like mako.  i use cheetah, but mako is supposed to be
> better.
>
> i think Python is the easiest language to learn, with the possible exception
> of qbasic (just because making multidimensional arrays in python isnt that
> obvious, although maybe it is using numpy, i've never tried it).  Python
> isn't as easy as basic if you use/have to read the more advanced features,
> but those aren't even available in basic. so I find it a comfortable
> learning curve.

You should see Basic's file operation syntax, ugly and hackish. All
those #1, #2, etc is ugly and unintuitive. That's why I've always
avoided anything related to file in Basic (no hard feelings to Basic
programmers, my first language is Basic and I'm pretty good at it
except for anything related with files). In python, file read is as
simple as open('path', 'mode'), and the for-loop can easily loop the
file object.