Cookie Confusion - How to Set a Cookie

Aaron Watters aaron.watters at gmail.com
Fri May 2 10:56:20 EDT 2008

On May 1, 9:02 am, cbh... at gmail.com wrote:
> On Apr 29, 3:35 pm, Aaron Watters <aaron.watt... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > Thanks for the code, Aaron.  I will give it a try.
>
> > > I've been reading some more about cookielib and am not sure whether I
> > > should use Cookie or cookielib.  This is what I want to do:  a user is
> > > going to login.  Upon a successful login, I want to write their name
> > > and date/time of visit to a cookie file. Which is the correct python
> > > module to use?
>
> > Cookie does parsing and generation of cookie strings
> > for server-side applications like your CGI script.
>
> > The cookielib module
> > is designed for either implementing a client like a web browser
> > or emulating a client/browser (for web scraping, for example).
>
> > I think you want to use Cookie.
> > The distinction could be made clearer in
> > the docs, imho.
>
> > Also, when you say "write the cookie file" I think you mean
> > "store the cookie to the client browser".  This should happen
> > automatically when you send the cookie header to the client
> > correctly (if the client is configured to cooperate).
>
> >   -- Aaron Watters
>
> > ===http://www.xfeedme.com/nucular/pydistro.py/go?FREETEXT=default+does+n...
>
> Sorry for the slow replies.  I've been in & out with a sick child.
>
> I'm used to my javascript cookies.  They are automatically written to
> a cookie.txt file in a .mozilla dir under my user.  When I say to
> 'write the cookie file' this is what I was referring to.  I was
> expecting my python cookie to automatically get written to the same
> file.  I have't seen this happen yet.

Hmmm.  I don't know how cookies are stored on the client.
I recommend using the standard cgi debug
environment dump after setting
a cookie to see if the cookie is coming back to the server.
If it is not something is wrong -- you are setting it incorrectly,
or the server or client is blocking the cookie.

Note if you are testing on one machine: some browsers
and servers have by default
special security restrictions on
"localhost" loopbacks -- it may be that this is causing
either the server or the client to ignore the cookie.

  -- Aaron Watters
===
http://www.xfeedme.com/nucular/pydistro.py/go?FREETEXT=cooked