help compiling Python on vs 2008!

inhahe inhahe at gmail.com
Sun May 18 00:21:46 EDT 2008

VS2005 seems to be officially supported.  Here's part of the readme file in
the PCBuild8 directory in the Python 2.5 source.

"
 Building Python using VC++ 8.0
-------------------------------------
This directory is used to build Python for Win32 platforms, e.g. Windows
95, 98 and NT.  It requires Microsoft Visual C++ 8.0
(a.k.a. Visual Studio 2005).  There are two Platforms defined, Win32
and x64.
(For other Windows platforms and compilers, see ../PC/readme.txt.)
"

Although I take your point about sharing resources.  I'm not sure I should
bother compiling 2.6, since I'll probably come across/already use modules
that I need that don't support 2.6 since it's so new.  So it would be nice
to know why following the instructions doesn't work.  Compilers never work
for me, though.. even when I follow instructions and they work for everybody
else.  It's like a schroedinbug - I just don't expect them to work.  As a
matter of principle, though, it /should/ work.. so it's gotta be
*somebody's* job to debug this! :P

news:mailman.1287.1211058342.12834.python-list at python.org...