Code correctness, and testing strategies

Sun May 25 15:41:28 EDT 2008

Ben Finney wrote:
> David <wizzardx at gmail.com> writes:
>> You need to justify the extra time spent on writing test code.
>
> From the perspective of someone who once thought this way, and then
> dug in and did Behaviour Driven Development, I can tell you the time
> is entirely justified: by better design, more maintainable code,
> higher confidence when speaking to customers, high visibility of
> progress toward completion, freedom to refactor code when it needs it,
> and many other benefits.

David,  here's another way to convince yourself you have the time:
For the next week, count how many times you repeat the same "hand-test"
of some code on a subsequent version.  Think of how much time that can
add up to if you no longer do that; you had-tesing time is subtracting
from the time you have to do unit tests.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org