firefox add-on to grab python code handily?

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com`
Sat May 10 09:38:36 EDT 2008

CM wrote:
> I encounter a fair number of small Python scripts online, and usually
> try them out by copying them to the clipboard, pasting into Notepad,
> saving them, and either running them directly or opening them in
> IDLE.
>
> And so I was wondering if anyone knew of an extension/add-on/script
> for Firefox which would allow a way to do something like this:
>
> user highlights Python code on a webpage
> right clicks
> selects a menu item, "Save as Python code"
> FF pops up a filename dialog or popup for filename
> (and, though I don't know if this is possible, runs Python code)
>
> Not an important thing by any means, but it would be a nice
> convenience.
> I know there are similar add-ons in FF for grabbing highlighted text
> and
> saving, but they are not good, as they don't seem to preserve line
> breaks
> properly or append the .py extension, etc.  I've Googled for this and
> so far
> it seems it doesn't exist.  Anyone know?

Since most of us keep Idle or some other Python IDE open nearly 100% of the time
we just copy from webpage, paste into new Python document, and run in the IDE.
While you could clearly write a plug-in for FF to achieve this, IMHO I doubt
many people would actually use it.

-Larry