pydb remote debugging/cmd.Cmd over socket?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Thu May 29 04:04:15 EDT 2008

> As part of the 2006 Google Summer of Code project Matt Flemming
> started working on remote debugging in pydb. Alas it wasn't completed
> and I let the code fall through the cracks.
>
> Matt claimed it worked to some degree but I could never get it to work
> for me. Most definitely the code has atrophied.
>
> The user interface was loosely based or reminiscent of gdb. So
> you'd run pydbserver either as a command inside the debugger or as an
> option to pydb or call inside Python pdbserver after importing.
>
> There is a connection class (file pydb/connection.rb) which was to
> allow different kinds of protocols, like a socket connection or
> a serial line connection, or maybe even two FIFO's so that you could
> connect to a different process on the same computer.
>
> And there were some commands on the user-interaction side
> to attach or detach the Python program you want to debug.
>
> If you look in pydb.py.in and gdb.py.in you'll see some code commented
> out with double hashes which is part of this effort.
>
> I invite you or others to try to resurrect this effort. However as I
> look at the code now, it doesn't make much sense other than the broad
> outline given above.

Hm. Ok, I'll look into that. It's just that I don't get cmd.Cmd to work
against two streams. Maybe I need to dive into unix-coding a bit deeper
again.

> Another approach and possibly a much simpler one if you are looking
> for a Python debugger which supports remote debugging is Winpdb
> http://winpdb.org/ by Nir Aides.

I've found that - and while it's nice, it has one problem: I can only
start it with winpdb governing the process already, preventing python
from starting.

In contrast, the possibility to use a sginal to start the debugger of
pydb is great, so that's the reason I want to stick with it.

Diez