frameword vs application server?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon May 12 10:34:39 EDT 2008

walterbyrd schrieb:
> Can somebody help me understand the difference? Not just where Python
> is concerned, but in general?
>
> As I understand it, an application server is supposed to be a great
> help in developing apps, because most of the business logic is already
> there. It seems to me that, usually when applications servers are
> discussed, people are talking about Java.

First of all, this is a misconception. An app-server may provide a wide
range of infrastructure, however this has nothing to do with business
logic. THat can merely pick parts of that infrastructure to build upon.
But the distinction to a powerful framework is slim enough.

And it should be (and has been often so) said that especially in the
java-world, app-servers and the specifications the implement (j2ee) are
over-engineered and complicated.

> I suppose most popular Python frameworks incorporate an application
> server, but I get the idea that those app servers are not nearly as
> sophisticed as something like JBoss.

The sophistication is a matter of perspective - some of it stems from
the fact that in java, you need a lot more code to make even pretty
simple things work. Think of delegation to business objects (session
beans) that get their respective calls wrapped so that they take place
inside a transactional context.

Which involves a great deal of design-abstractions, code-generators and
tons of XML to glue these together.

Or three lines of code in python...

> I am not sure if a Python app server, that works like a Java app
> server would make sense.

As mentioned above - in some aspects, that is not really needed. But if
you want more of an app-server, have a look at ZOPE, Kamaelia and maybe
even twisted.

Diez