Flash Decoder

Max Erickson maxerickson at gmail.com
Wed May 28 10:09:08 EDT 2008

"Mathieu Prevot" <mathieu.prevot at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/5/28 Diez B. Roggisch <deets at nospam.web.de>:
>> Ankit wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,i wanted to build a flash decoder using python can
>>> somebody tell me which library to use and what steps should i
>>> follow to make a flash(video) decoder?By a decoder i mean that
>>> i need to display all the pixel values of each frame.Waiting
>>> for your replies.
>>
>> Check out libffmpeg. It should be accessible using python by
>> various means, including gstreamer or ctypes.
>>
>> This is however a rather advanced topic.
>>
>> Diez
>
> I think you might want make an ffmpeg/libffmpeg python wrap. It
> could be really useful, and faster than a pure python decoder.
> Even for fun.
>
> Cheers
> Mathieu
> --

It even already exists. There is a binary interface that is
maintained alongside pyglet:

http://code.google.com/p/avbin/

and then ctypes wrapper for that interface in pyglet:

http://code.google.com/p/pyglet/source/browse/trunk/pyglet/media/avb
in.py
http://www.pyglet.org/doc/programming_guide/sound_and_video.html

I haven't used either one, but it's where I would start.

Max