usage of python

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sun May 18 00:46:34 EDT 2008

On 2008-05-13, Rajarshi <rajarshi.guha at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I teach an introductory programming course in Python. As part of
> the introduction I'd like to highlight the usage of Python in
> industry. The idea is to show that there are big players using Python
> for a variety of tasks. Given that the students come from a variety of
> backgrounds and are not necessarily 'hackers', I'm trying to look for
> examples with a bit of wow-factor.
>
> Is there any list with people/groups/companies using Python for
> impressive things?

Have you heard of a company called Google?  They use Python a
lot.

Another company you may have heard of is IBM. I have a laptop
made by them.  It came with Python pre-installed because a
bunch of the system utilities are written in Python.  I think
I've heard that HP and Compaq do the same (I can't verify it
personally).

If you've heard of Linux, there's a company called RedHat that
wrote their system installer and packaging/system-admin stuff
in Python.

--
Grant